Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Taco Pie

I am afraid my love of cooking ends when the temperature outside gets above 90. We are in full air condition mode here at the Silbaugh house. It has been almost a year since we have turned on the air conditioning, since it is mid 70's year round here. Alas, the heatwave has made it's way to Southern California and I am not left to slave over a hot stove, when a scoop of ice cream just sounds a whole lot better. 
Since I have no appetite at all from the heat, I am making the boys their beef. I had made a tortilla pie last week that was vegetarian, so not it is their turn. This recipe was a huge hit. They loved the blend of flavors. My husband, who I like to call "cast iron gut" didn't even put his hot sauce on it. If you are looking for stock to buy, Cholula is a safe bet, since my husband can eat a bottle of it per day. So I was shocked that he ate it just the way I served it! Enjoy!


Gluten Free Taco Pie
adapted from BS Recipes
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup milk
1 package taco seasoning mix
2 large potatoes cooked, peeled and then grated.
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded optional
Sour cream, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Add milk and 2 tablespoon taco seasoning. Remove from heat and add cooked, grated potato until incorporated. Press mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch pan.
Bake for 15 minutes.
In a medium skillet, cook beef and onions until beef is browned and cooked through. Drain. Add Salsa and remaining taco seasoning. Cook for 3 minutes on high stirring constantly.
Pour into crust. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Let cool for 5 minutes. Top with desired toppings like: cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. Cut and serve with optional sour cream. 

Follow Us!


1 comment:

  1. My family would love this one!! I really enjoy savory pies. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.