Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gluten Free Grain Free Cloud Bread

Today a combo of Jasmine, Lemon, Lime, and Orange trees are blowing through my house. It is a lovely thing to wake up to each morning, but I have said that before. I know I am being repetitive, but I cannot get over how blessed we are to live here!  

As you know my daughter turned 19 a couple weeks ago. In a few months she will be moving out into her first apartment. So as time creeps closer, I am trying to come up with more affordable ways for her to eat. I am still going to be cooking for her once a week, but in the meantime, I need to teach her ways to survive gluten free on a budget. One of the things she needs are bread substitutes. I wanted to come up with an easy bun for her to make that does not have a ton of ingredients. This bread has 4 ingredients and makes the perfect hamburger bun or sandwich bread. It was so simple to make. I threw it together in no time. I made her a ham and cheese sandwich and she said it was perfect. 

My Best friend from Oregon is also visiting. She has type 1 Diabetes. So with that in mind I wanted to come up with a basically carb free bread. SUCCESS! We tried this out on her and her daughter and they both said it was better than regular white bread. You have to try it. It is not hard at all to make. It stores nicely in the fridge in between parchment paper. It is even really really good with peanut butter and jelly!  
To see our youtube video on how to make this wonderful bread, click here: http://youtu.be/mZavEUEzepg

Gluten Free Grain Free Cloud Bread
adapted from Food.com

3 eggs, separated
3 tablespoons cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 packet of stevia



Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Separate the eggs.
In one bowl, mix together the egg yolks, the 3 Tablespoon Cream Cheese and the one packet of Sweetener until smooth.
In the other bowl add 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy and form nice peaks.
Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until mixed, but try and not break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.

Prepare two baking stones or sheets with parchment paper. 
With a large spoon, "scoop" the mixture into 8 rounds on the sheets. Bake on the middle rack. Bake them for 30 minutes. They are ready when they are golden brown. 
Remove from the stones or sheets and cool.
Follow Us:

22 comments:

  1. What would I sub for Stevia? It is something I've never used, but would like to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful! I too am a diabetic and so I have just not tried all that hard to find a bread substitute. But I think I may try these. Can you tell me why you used stevia in this? I mean, what was its purpose in the chemistry of the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stevia is used to give it a little bit of sweetness without adding any calories. You can use Splenda or Sugar. Just like most bread recipes add a touch of sugar. Any sweetner sub will work, I just prefer pure natural Stevia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can it be made dairy free (but not by using Tofutti/tofu cream cheese)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You amaze me! This is such a wonderful bread/bun to make a sandwich with... your daughter is a lucky girl to have a mother like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. On Fridays, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday - and I love this post so I'm featuring it as part of the roundup (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I look forward to seeing what you create next...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm shocked that this recipe hasn't "blown up", it certainly blew my mind! We made 3 batches today, partly because we ate the first batch in 5 minutes. I can't wait to explore adding some other flavor profiles, I thinking almond flavor & extra stevia.
    Fantastic, thanks so much for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How long does this last in the fridge? Or is it better to just make it when you need it? I am definitley trying this...thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you store it in the fridge make sure you put each piece in between parchment paper. It lasts up to 3 days, but is best served the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this! My husband and I are on a lower-carb diet, and my sister-in-law is sensitive to gluten, so this would work for all three of us. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, this recipe looks friggen awesome!! I love it! Low carb and gluten free!! I'm in!!! I have to make these this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you love them just as much as my daughter does!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Accidently made this when I was 9 trying to cook an omelet Was scared, had it set to very low heat and then when swimming. Came back and my systers and I tried it. We had made bread. Laugh about it to this day (30 years later). I'll have to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there anyway to make this dairy free?
    It looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just use healthy dairy like goat's milk or casein A2 dairy...or make your own coconut milk (the store bought milk alternatives are full of unhealthy ingredients so you HAVE to make your own) carrageenan is molecularly similar to PLASTIC and its in all the alternative "milks"...nuts, seeds, rice, oats (grains) ALL have to be soaked properly before made into fake "milk" so I would advise against buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tofu is SO bad for you! Please study soy and cancer...look into Mercola articles about it. If soy is not fermented and eaten in small portions, it is deadly to the body. Buy organic, kosher, casein A1 free dairy you will be fine. A2 dairy is safe for all...or make your own using coconut only...prepackages are full of toxic ingredients too...see my post above /\

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tofu IS fermented.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This person may have a dairy allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made them and they turned out great! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I made these today for my husband who has ankylosing spondylitis and is on a starch free diet. It was the first time in months that he was able to enjoy a sandwich! Thanks so much for posting. SuZ

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is probaby late but...since the previous poster failed at figuring out something, perhaps you can try this alternative:

    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/12/how-to-make-soy-free-vegan-cream-cheese/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.