Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Birthday Crème Brûlée French Toast


Every year my daughter makes me a long list of everything she wishes me to make her on her birthday. It is cute and I enjoy doing it. But her birthday turns into three days of me in the kitchen from sunrise to sunset. So I do get really worn out. It is a labor of love and I like that she looks forward to her birthday because of my cooking. Hopefully it will be great memories for years to come. 

A while back I saw a post for Crème Brûlée French Toast. I made the mistake of showing Taylor and that is all she has talked about since. You should see my calendar. On her birthday date she wrote:  Crème Brûlée French Toast, Empanadas, Pico de gallo, Strawberry cake with rainbow chip frosting, and Snickerdoodles. Because of her Celiac (no wheat) and me having to make everything from scratch. The birthday wish list took a long time. Empanadas take forever to make gluten free, But I accomplished all of her birthday wishes. She said this breakfast was the best breakfast she has ever had, even before her Celiac diagnosis. So that makes me happy. It really was not that hard to do either! 



Gluten Free Crème Brûlée French Toast
inspired by Apron Heels

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed tightly
2 tbsp corn syrup. 
1 loaf Udi's Gluten Free Sliced White Sandwich Bread
5 fresh eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Grand Marnier. 


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a small sauce pan, melt the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup over low heat, and stir until it's nice and smooth. Pour all but a tiny bit of the caramel into a 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish, spread so that the sauce covers your entire bottom. I drizzled the rest of the caramel on plates to serve like a garnish under the french toast. 


In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, whipping cream, vanilla, and Grand Marnier. Dip Each Piece of bread into the custard mix and coat thoroughly, dipping a few times so the bread soaks up the mixture. 
Place your soaked bread on top of the caramel. And pour more of the custard mixture on top of the bread.

Bake uncovered for 35 minutes until puffy and golden.

Drizzle the pan juices over the french toast and serve Warm! 


Here is Taylor (She made me promise to tell you she just woke up and that is why she looks grungy.) I like this picture because Cece is begging quietly in the background. 


Follow Me:

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I can never think of just one thing for my birthday so why not make a list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this looks positively decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious and perfect celebratory breakfast!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making this for my boyfriend who has celiac disease for his birthday. I am really excited, this recipe looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so fresh and delicious, love this recipe.
    Thanks for share


    farida
    http://fbfresh.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.