Sunday, April 15, 2012

Onion Rings gluten free

    • It is no secret in this house that I miss some of the gluten filled foods I used to have. I am not gluten intolerant, but having a Celiac daughter... I try to stick to gluten free as best I can, for her sake. One of the things I have missed lately are good onion rings. I mean it isn't really fair to order them in front of her, but I have in the past.  Those crispy deep fried rings are full of gluten. So I set forth to make them gluten free. It was actually really simple. Here is the process I used:
    • 2 cups canola oil
      1 large sweet onion 
      1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1 teaspoon sea salt
      1 large egg, lightly beaten
      1 cup milk
      1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
      1/2 cup crushed potato chips
      1/2 cup parmesan cheese
      In a deep fryer heat the oil to 375 degrees. 
      Slice onions into thick slices (across the onion) and separate into individual rings.
      In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and sea salt.
      Dredge all the onion rings in the flour mixture until well coated; set aside.
      In another bowl, whisk the egg and milk and add to the remaining flour mixture that was used for dredging the onion rings. Whisk, until a creamy batter is formed; not too thick. 
      Dip the flour coated onion rings in the batter to coat well.
      Using a fork, remove and place the coated onion rings on the wire rack and let the excess batter drip off, about 1 minute. It is best to place foil or a pan under the wire rack to catch the drippings. 
      In another mixing bowl, add the crushed up chips.
      Roll the onion rings in the bread chip mixture until thoroughly coated.
      Deep fry the onion rings in batches of 4 to 6 for 2 minutes.
      Remove to paper towels to drain. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, or just eat plain! 

Follow Us!
Follow Us on FacebookFollow Us on TwitterFollow Us on bloggerFollow Us on tumblrFollow Us on StumbleUponFollow Us on RSSFollow Us via Email
Follow Me on Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to trying this but I have a question --- In the instructions it mentions to add the bread crumbs. However, there are no bread crumbs in the ingredient list. Is that the chips? I'm trying to figure out where the chips are added in the list. (I might have missed it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I updated it, sorry about that, you can use gluten free breadcrumbs instead if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remembered a fast food restaurant way back in college. Their onions rings were superb. I got hooked on them and I think on this one too. And it's gluten free. Yum! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love onion rings.. these look fabulous. Now .. how can I get you come and make them for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.