Friday, February 10, 2012

Slow Cooker Gluten Free French Dip

My son has been begging me to make French Dip sandwiches for ages. I admit I have procrastinated making it. Mostly because it does not sound good to me. I realized that was kind of selfish, so I set out to please my boy today. I looked up recipes, but almost all of them use soup  packets and dried herbs. I wanted to make one out of fresh ingredients for him. The only thing I cut corners on was I used the beef bouillon cubes, simply because I did not have beef broth handy. Everyone loved it. I was told the au jus was perfect and that it needs to be put on the regular rotation. Good thing it was really simple to make! Here is what I did:


4 lbs. boneless beef (I used boneless rib-eye)

1/2 cup braggs amino acids -or- gluten free soy sauce

2 beef bouillon cubes
1 bay leaf
4 whole black peppercorns

1/2 one sweet onion sliced 
1 teaspoon thyme 

1 teaspoon crushed rosemary

1 teaspoon minced garlic 

Remove and discard all visible fat from the beef. Place trimmed beef in a slow cooker.
 crumble bouillon over meat and add a bay leaf and peppercorns. Next chop up rosemary, thyme, and garlic. I chopped all mine together and rubbed it on the meat.
 Add soy sauce and onion. Pour mixture over roast, and add enough water to almost cover meat. 
Cover, and cook on heat for 4 hours, or low heat for 8 hours.
Remove meat from broth. 
Slice meat very thin, and distribute on gluten free bread for sandwiches. Schar makes a fabulous gluten free Sub Sandwich roll
Use reserved broth for au jus to dip the sandwich in.
Follow Us:

3 comments:

  1. I love french dips! I think its a comfort food thing since I grew up eatting them. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christi. I've really been enjoying your recipes. I tried out this one tonight. It was really tasty, but my meat came out of the crockpot in usual "crockpot" style - pretty much ready for shredding. Your picture shows nice, thin slices of beef. Do you have any tips for getting it to turn out this way in the crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracy! maybe a thicker cut of beef? I pulled mine out and sliced it with a knife. Maybe less cooking time. It can be tricky with altitudes and different cookers cooking at various temperatures. I would reduce it by 1 hour next time and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.