Thursday, February 16, 2012

Crock Pot Carne Asada

Crock Pot Carne Asada
I often make Carne Asada for my meat loving family. This usually entails Searing meat, then putting it in the oven for hours. With the weather being so great, I really did not feel like having the hot oven on for hours. So I decided to give the old slow cooker a go. This worked out perfectly. If you can chop a few vegetables and measure a few spices. You will find this recipe to work great for perfect Carne Asada every time. The best part is, it works with any steak cut of beef. It actually works great with chicken as well. Throw it all in the pot and it is ready by dinner. It makes the perfect filling for Burrito's, Taco's, Tostada's, Nacho's, Chimichanga's etc..


1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
3 diced tomatoes 
2 jalapeno peppers chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped 
4 cloves garlic, minced 
2 pounds Steak 
2 tablespoons ground cumin 
2 tablespoons chili powder 
2 teaspoons salt 
2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper 
In small bowl, combine the cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper.

Sprinkle the spice mixture over the beef so that it is evenly coated and place in the crock pot Prepare all veggies by cleaning and chopping them. Place them in the crock pot.
Add Beef Broth and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Shred the meat with 2 forks and drizzle with some of the braising liquid to keep the meat moist. Cover until ready to serve.

If you like my recipes, please support my work and get my cookbook! Featuring 150 recipes, 100 of which are not on the blog. That's right! 100 new recipes! Gluten-Free Made Easy is the perfect guide to your new lifestyle! Learn dozens of tips and tricks for avoiding gluten and over 150 tasty, simple recipes. Going against the grain has never been easier!
"Gluten-Free Made Easy" is available for sale at Barnes and NobleBooks and ThingsCedar FortAmazon and many other great bookstores.
Follow Us

19 comments:

  1. This looks down right delicious! Is it dinner time yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find gluten free beef broth? Any beef broth that I have found has MSG in it which contains gluten. I don't have the time to make it myself, so we have gone without. Thanks! Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy the organic beef broth they sell at Sprouts and Whole Foods. Worst case i make my own by covering beef bones with carrots, celery, bay leaf, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and water. Boil, then reduce to simmer for 1 hour. Pour through a sieve and you have beef broth. Most of the health food organic lines do not add msg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! So glad that I found your blog. I can't wait to try out the recipes. Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think adding a teaspoon or so of liquid smoke would work? I didn't want to ruin your recipe but I was thinking this might add a bit of the outdoor grill taste. Thanks, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not give it a try? Some of the best recipes come through trial and error.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found MSG free broth @ the $Tree!!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a newbie to cooking beef, what kind of steak did you buy???

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd totally do this today but I have no steak or onions. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe is a keeper according to my husband. We enjoyed it with flour tortillas, rice and beans. Great dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am originally from Texas, where they have Freebird's Burritos and moved up north where they don't have any near by. I got a hankering for their burritos one night and started looking for carne asada recipes and found this one. This is the first time I've ever found a recipe that is BETTER than something I've eaten out. The ONLY difference I made was add 1 teaspoon of Liquid smoke to give the meat an authentic smoked flavor. Other than that this recipe was AMAZING! Thank you for sharing this gem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have made this twice now. Once for just me and once for my dad and stepmom. It was a hit both times. So glad I got to cook for them and it was something they enjoyed! I passed on the recipe to them and another friend who only does crockpot cooking! It was SO easy and tasted SO good and very versatile. I've eaten it as nachos, tacos, and now on a salad. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When your mom use to bake it in the oven what was the temp and time she used.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Mom never cooked. You can cover it with foil in a baking dish for 6 hours on 300 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  15. MSG is gluten free but many people have a reaction to it similar to gluten.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.