Thursday, March 24, 2011

Homemade Gnocchi Gluten-Free

One of my favorite things is pasta. Every kind. Gnocchi is so good, but can be time consuming. I haven't made gnocchi since finding out Taylor was gluten intollerant. But having the better batter products, have encouraged me to try things that I previously thought would be impossible. I am thrilled. This Gnocchi was exact. I mean there is no way I could tell a difference! Here is what I did:

Fresh Gnocchi

2 lbs potatoes, peeled, cooked (this was about 6 potatoes for me)
1 1/4 - 2 cups Better Batter Gluten Free flour
1 egg, beaten
Salt and pepper

Cook your potatoes in the oven or boil them until tender. I am using the inside of my potatoes left over from my potato skins.
Press them through potato ricer, if you don't have one you can put them through the grater on the kichen aid, and then use a masher into a bowl. Add the beaten egg, salt and pepper, mix with a kitchen aid paddle on low OR a wooden spoon (that's the traditional way of doing it), then add better batter flour(or your favorite gluten free flour), 1/2 cup at a time to start, then little by little.

Once you have worked in a cup, sprinle working surface with 1/4 cup better batter flour. Put dough on a working surface and start working it with your hands.. It makes for lighter, fluffier dumplings. Do not overwork! If you over work it, it gets sticky. It takes about 1 and 1/4 cups of better batter flour.

Divide the dough into quarters. Dust your working surface with flour and roll out the dough with the palms of your hands into a long rope. Cut to 1inch intervals.
Shape them with a fork or gnocchi paddle. (the grooves are what make the sauce stick) I don't have a gnocchi padde. But hope to get one someday. SO the fork had to do. Place the dumplings on a sheet of parchment, or if you have a Roul'pat it works great.

To cook, drop the dumplings in salted boiling water. When they float to the surface, they are done! It should take about 1-2 minutes. Make sure to boil in batches, so they don't stick. Strain. I used my handy dandy strainer spoon that I love.
 You can serve just like this. That is how it is traditionally served.
I covered... slathered mine in my alfredo sauce. Yum... served it with my parmesan chicken... yum!

1 comment:

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.