Monday, September 16, 2013

Ponzu Halibut with Lemon Ginger Rice

I have a treat for you today! 
We had company for dinner the other night and I wanted to make a healthy tasty dish. A lot of times when company comes over, it is harder for me, because I know most people are used to junk foods being served. No fried chicken here! So I set out to make a very flavorful healthy dish. One that is so full of flavor, no one would even think it is healthy. 

This dish was a huge success. Everyone cleaned their plate and there were a lot of "This is so good!" statements flowing from the mouths of happy people. Randy and I liked it so much that the next day we picked up more wild line caught halibut and I made it again. Anytime I make a dish two nights in a row, you know it is a keeper. 

If you are not gluten-free, you can buy ponzu sauce. I prefer making it from scratch, as I do most all of my sauces. It is really easy to make. Make the sauce the day before so the flavors have plenty of time to marry. 

Gluten-Free Ponzu Halibut with Lemon Ginger Rice
serves 4

Ponzu Sauce:
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/3 cup braggs amino acids sauce
2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 pinch red pepper

Lemon Rice Pilaf:
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cups long grain brown rice
1/2 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons chopped parsley


The first thing you need to do is make the sauce. 
Whisk together juice, vinegar, gluten-free soy sauce or braggs, mirin and brown sugar. Let sit at least 1 hour for the flavors to incorporate. I usually make mine the day before.
Store covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 
Next it is time to make the rice. I prefer long grain organic brown rice. It is so much healthier for you.
The rice takes a little longer than the fish to cook. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. When the oil shimmers, add the onion, ginger, and lemon zest and stir-fry until soft, about 2 minutes. 

Add the rice and cook, stirring until the rice is opaque, about 5 minutes.

 Add the wine and allow to reduce by 80 percent. 
Add the chicken stock, cover the rice with foil and place over the lowest heat for 45 minutes.

While the rice is cooking make the Halibut.
Place your halibut in an oven proof skillet. Pour the ponzu sauce over the halibut until it is about 1/4 inch thick in the pan.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.