Monday, March 31, 2014

Black and Blue Steak Salad


My husband loves Steak. It is not a secret around here that I am not a big fan of red meat. However, my local organic market got a fresh batch of grass fed beef steaks. The only time I will ever try red meat is if it is organic and grass fed. Want to know why? The difference is explained very well here: http://www.goodfoodworld.com/2012/01/grass-fed-vs-feedlot-beef-whats-the-difference/ If you take the time to read it, you are helping your health. 

My husband also loves Salad. When I asked him what he would like for dinners this week, he said how about salad every night. Then he said, I would really like a steak and blue cheese salad. I groaned. Two things I don't like. Steak and blue cheese. Immediately in my head, I started planning my vegetarian salad that I would be eating while he devoured the carnage. I believe that just because I don't like something, does not mean I won't make it for those that do. 

This salad is actually healthy. Want to know the shocking part? I ate some. Because it was grass fed, and my husband kept moaning and rolling his eyes back while he took bites, followed by the thumbs up sign. I figured, I might as well give it a try. It was good. Very flavorful. Anyone who likes blue cheese and steak will love this. I recommend serving it with a good red wine. A fabulous old vine zin is perfect. Enjoy! 


Black and Blue Steak Salad
Recipe by: Christi Silbaugh


1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup blue cheese
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp Olive Oil

4 6-8 ounce Steaks (cut of your choice)
2 tomatoes, sliced.
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce, or your favorite salad blend


For the spice mixture: 
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

For spice mixture:
Mix all ingredients in small bowl. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. 
Heat a skillet on your stove to 375 degrees. 

Generously season each steak on both sides with the spice mixture. Reserve remaining spice mixture and set aside. 

Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to the hot skillet. Add your steak to the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes to blacken and then turn over and cook for another 1 minute. Place the skillet in the oven and cook to desired done-ness. 3-5 minutes for medium rare. 6-8 minutes for medium. 8-10 for well done. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. 

While meat is resting, stir one tablespoon of the spice mixture in with the yogurt, blue cheese, and milk. Stir well. This is your dressing. 
Once the meat has rested, slice on the bias. 

If you like my recipes, please support my work and get my cookbook! Featuring 150 recipes, 100 of which are not on the blog. That's right! 100 new recipes! Gluten-Free Made Easy is the perfect guide to your new lifestyle! Learn dozens of tips and tricks for avoiding gluten and over 150 tasty, simple recipes. Going against the grain has never been easier!
"Gluten-Free Made Easy" is available for sale at Barnes and NobleBooks and ThingsCedar FortAmazon and many other great bookstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.