Monday, December 9, 2013

Asian Snapper


I am very proud of myself. I just completed a full month of yoga. I go 4 times a week and I am absolutely in love. For an hour and fifteen minutes 4 mornings a week, I get to pray while exercising. It has truly changed my life. I believe I can honestly say that I will never ever stop practicing yoga. On the days I don't have class, I still practice at home. My Christmas list now consists of 5 yoga books I really want to get. Why did I not start practicing yoga sooner? To say the least I am extremely thankful. I am so thankful that I found yoga. I will never ever go back. I also enjoy my walk to yoga and back. I feel alive again after beating the cancer, and I feel like I can take on the world every day. If you have not ever tried yoga, I really recommend you get to a yoga center (not a gym), and start with a gentle flow class. Don't be afraid. Everyone was a beginner once!

Yoga has been helping me balance out my life. Something that I have always struggled with. I tend to be all go, go, go, with very little stopping. Now I am budgeting out time for all of it. It also helps me with my food choices. Knowing that I just sweat and worked off a ton of calories, I don't want to reach for the bad food that would negate what I just accomplished. 

So I have been making a lot of fish and veggies. Red Snapper is in season here and I can't get enough. It adapts to any flavors you add to it. This dish is full of asian flavor. One look at it, you would think it is complicated. In fact, it is quite simple to make!  You can have this ready in 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Gluten-free Asian Red Snapper
adapted from The Guardian
Serves 4

For the fish
4 red snapper fillets
1 tablespoon peanut oil
4 thin prosciutto slices, each piece halved to match the shape of the fish
1 4 ounce can of whole bamboo shoots, julienned
4 shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed, julienned
1 Tablespoon grated ginger
8 chives, sliced in half lengthwise, then cut into 3rds.
freshly ground white pepper

For the seasoning
2 tablespoons light soy sauce -or bragg's amino acids
3 tablespoons chicken stock
1⁄2 teaspoon agave nectar
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Mix all the seasoning ingredients together.
Brush the peanut oil all over the four pieces of fish. 
Brush seasoning on top of the fish. 
Place the prosciutto slices on top of each fish. 
Brush again with seasoning.
Top with bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and ginger. 
Brush again with seasoning.
Place on a baking sheet or grill pan. 
Pour the rest of the seasoning over the fish.

Cover and bake for 10 minutes. 
Sprinkle with a pinch of white pepper and serve. I served mine over Cauliflower puree, but it is great alone, or over rice or pasta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.