Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Crazy Caprese Bites


I was excited this past week to receive a copy of Bake and Destroy, which is a cool cookbook full of good food for Vegans. 
As the back cover of the book proclaims, it is filled with "vegan recipes that'll punch your taste buds in the mouth". It is written by Natalie Slater. Natalie is not the baker you’d expect. She’s been described as “Martha Stewart meets Iron Maiden”, taking vegan cooking to places it’s never been before. As a matter of fact, her self proclaimed cooking influences include TV, pro-wrestling, punk rock and heavy metal; the results are equally surprising—a refreshing take on great vegan baking with award-winning flavors.

Where to Buy:


So I wanted to try out a recipe on you guys. With permission from her, I am posting a recipe from her book called Ca-razy Caprese. I love this recipe. She swapped the mozzarella cheese with avocado, and I was so shocked at how much better I liked it! I shouldn't have been shocked, considering how much I love avocado. 


Now her recipe is served on toast. Being gluten-free, I decided to try out some new artisan crackers that just came out instead. Gluten-free toast isn't always my favorite. Besides, by using these crackers, I was able to make it a cute little appetizer. 

If you are familiar with Nut Thins, then you are going to love the new Artisan Nut Thins by Blue Diamond. 
They are free of all wheat and gluten. Certified gluten-free, so you don't have to worry about cross contamination. They also have added nutrition. They come in Sesame Seed, Flax Seed, and Multi-Seed. 
While they are amazing just by themselves. They make the perfect base for your appetizers. With the holiday season coming up, be sure to pick up a few boxes of these!

Ok, now for this delicious recipe from Natalie Slater!

Ca-razy Caprese on crackers
adapted from Bake and Destroy
1 box of your favorite crackers
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
5 plum tomatoes, diced
3 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and mashed
1 bunch of fresh basil leaves, stemmed and chopped. 

Stir in the chopped tomatoes, basil, avocado, salt, pepper, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. 
place 1 Tablespoon of mixed caprese onto your favorite cracker. Serve!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.