Monday, September 30, 2013

New England Clam Chowder

 
This weekend I just did not feel like cooking. Shocking I know. This happens every once in a while when I am not inspired by any ingredients in my fridge and pantry, and I am feeling anti-social and don't want to walk to the market. 

Still not wanting to subject my body to bad eating. I went digging through my cans. Something I don't do often. I had bought some imported clams from World Market. This was the time to use them. With a big bag of organic potatoes and some fresh veggies left over from my farmers market trek... I set out to make a classic New England Clam Chowder. 

This was so easy. It came together in 30 minutes and my husband and I did not have to leave our abode. We ate the leftovers for lunch the next day. 

Gluten-Free New England Clam Chowder
adapted from The Food Network
makes 4 large bowls 

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 celery stalks  sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 TBSP corn starch
2 cups chicken stock
2 (10-ounce) cans chopped clams in juice
1 cup half and half
2 bay leaves
1 pound Idaho potatoes, cut into 1/2- inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and saute until softened, mixing often. 

Stir in the corn starch to distribute evenly. Add the stock, juice from 2 cans of chopped clams (reserve clams), half and half, bay leaves, and potatoes and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring consistently (the mixture will thicken), then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook 20 minutes, stirring often, until the potatoes are nice and tender. Then add clams and season to taste with salt and pepper, cook until clams are just firm, another 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.