Thursday, September 26, 2013

Hot and Sour Soup

 
We have not been eating out much at all. I like to know what I am putting into my body. Restaurants usually only care what it tastes like to you, not how much fat and calories are in something. Eating right starts at home. 

Sometimes I miss my favorite dishes though. Like when we go out to Asian food. I love hot and sour soup! Thankfully I love to cook and can re-create any dish I am craving, right at home!

Next time I make this, I am going to double it. We ate it for dinner, and lunch the next day. I wanted it for dinner again, but it was all gone. So good! Enjoy!


Gluten-Free Hot and Sour Soup
adapted from http://chinese.food.com

1/2 lb chicken (you can use pork and tofu if you wish)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup bamboo shoots, julienned
2 tablespoons cornstarch (bob's is non-gmo)
1/2 cup water
5 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
5 ounces gluten-free soy sauce-or- braggs amino acids
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
1 teaspoon white pepper, ground
6 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ginger root, finely chopped

Make sure your chicken is chopped into cubes.

Bring the chicken broth to a boil and then add the chicken.Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, until the broth comes to a boil again.

Add the bamboo shoots.Let the pot return to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a low boil.
Add the soy sauce, spices, vinegar, salt and sugar.
Mix the corn starch and water to create a paste for thickening.
Add the corn starch mixture slowly, stirring constantly.
Drizzle the beaten eggs in slowly while stirring, so that you get "strings" of egg.
Ladle the soup into bowls, then garnish with 1/2 tsp of green onions per bowl
Follow Us

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.