Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Clam Chowder

My husband and I have been busy checking out the local places downtown. Within a 4 block radius we have over 100 restaurants. It really is amazing. It will take us a few years to try them all. Mostly because I cook so much. We are trying to go to a couple each week. When we were moving, we were so exhausted and up one block is The Beer Company. My husband really wanted a cold beer after being sore and tired. So even though it didn't sound like my kind of place, it seemed simple enough. I was wrong. The food there is really really good! They have things like bacon cheese tater tots and creamy chicken garlic pizza. Basically every type of food, amped up a notch. I always joke that my husband orders the entire menu. " I will have the jalapeno artichoke cheese dip, a salad, a cup of clam chowder, and the fish and chips please!" Is the type of ordering he does. So it was no shock when he got the clam chowder prior to his meal. It was so good! Maybe it was because we were exhausted and hungry from moving?  Either way, we will be going back for Clam Chowder. 
Their chowder got me wanting to re-create it at home. So here you go! Very tasty!
Gluten-Free Clam Chowder

2 (6.5 ounce) cans clams
2 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
1/2 cup water
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1 cup cubed potatoes
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup butter
2 TBSP better batter gluten free flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
ground black pepper to taste
optional: green onions for garnish
Chop up your onions, celery and carrots the same size.
Chop up your potatoes double the size of your veggies. 
Drain juice from clams into a large pot over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots. Add water, and cook over medium heat until tender.

Add the butter to the veggies over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream, milk, and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.
Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. I adore clam chowder. This looks creamy and perfect. I am happy you and your hubby are enjoying your empty nesting. 100 restaurants... wow... we always end up going to the same old places because of the kids. I would love the idea of having 100 places to try out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.