Friday, December 14, 2012

Flaky Gluten-Free Pie and Pastry Crust


 
I have been on a search for great flaky gluten-free pie/pastry crust. Some people say to use lard, others swear the secret is butter. For Gluten-Free, I agree that the secret is butter. This recipe makes 2 round pie crusts, You can use them for pastry, or individual pies (shown above). I will be filling these with chocolate soon. I am kissing my waistline goodbye until after Christmas. Below is the process I used. Enjoy!



Gluten-Free Flaky Pie and Pastry Crust
adapted from Real Sustenence
1 ½ Cup Sweet Rice Flour 
¾ Cup Brown or White Rice Flour
¼ Cup + 1 TBS Potato Starch
1 Tsp Salt
¼ tsp Guar Gum
2 sticks butter slightly frozen
2 Large Eggs
¼ Cup ice cold water
Egg Wash: 1 Egg + 1 TBS water whisked together.
Combine all the dry ingredients (Sweet Rice Flour, Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Salt and Xanthan Gum.) in a large mixing bowl.
Using a cheese grater, grate your frozen butter into your flours.
Add Eggs and Water. Using a paddle attachment -or- a pastry cutting in tool, mix until just mixed enough to handle. You should see chunks of butter still. 
Seperate dough into two pieces. Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate for one hour. 

This is your base dough for pies and pastries. It will be flaky and yummy. Yields 2 Crust’s (Enough to make the top and bottom of 1 pie) Crust can be filled with any filling prior to baking. Or Pre-baked before filling.
Bake at 375 degrees 25-30 minutes until slightly golden. I rolled mine out and filled with caramel and apples. 
Which in turn gave me this:
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.