Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Cookies

This post has 2 recipes. One for Caramel, and one for cookies. I have a lot of Christmas recipes that call for caramel. Because of Taylor's dietary restrictions I just did not feel like combing through the shelves of the grocery store reading every ingredient and wondering if it is gluten free or not. I saw this recipe for Easy Caramels a while back. I have found it very useful. It only takes a few minutes and you can use it in may recipes. It is even good for topping your drinks with a little bit of caramel. You can wrap the caramel in waxed paper and freeze it for later use if you wish. Or be like me and use it up in various recipes at once. I do have to admit that I did eat a spoon of this high calorie treat. But it was worth every calorie. I adapted the caramel part from: food.com Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints
recipe I adapted from That Skinny Chick can Bake! I took out the nuts. My kids aren't big nut fans. Most the time they deal, but I wanted to make something special. These cookies were so good they were deadly. I have a sugar high as I am typing this. I will be making these on a regular basis. If you wish you can add nuts. 

Cookie Base:
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder 
1/4 teaspoon salt

Easy Caramel:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk


Start by making the caramel...Combine all ingredients.
Cook in microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes.
Stir and pour into a parchment lined dish.
Let cool.
Now start the cookies...
Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
Beat together butter, sugar, egg yolk, milk and vanilla until well blended.  Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into batter and mix on low speed till well combined.  
Pour into a pastry bag or a gallon sized ziplock bag and cut a hole in one corner of it. 
Line two baking sheets with parchment.  Pipe dough onto baking stones about 1 1/2 inches apart.  
Bake 12 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press center of cookies with finger or end of spoon to make an indentation in each cookie.  Allow to cool completely.
Spoon a bit of caramel into the center of each cookie.  Allow to cool till caramel is set.
Store remaining caramel in an airtight container. It is great for topping hot drinks with as well. 

1 comment:

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.