Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pickled Garlic

One of my constant staples in this house is pickled garlic. I love to go to Costco and buy the huge bag of pre-peeled garlic cloves. I only use these when I am canning, because when I cook I prefer to peel and mince fresh.

But look at this baby. It is even better when you rip it open and take a big whif. Yum. I love garlic!
So here is how I go about making mine pickled... available for eating right out of the jar without the spicy garlic harsh after taste. Try them, they are addicting.

1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 small dried chile pepper (you can omit if you don't like spice)
1 small thyme sprig
1 small rosemary sprig
1 small bay leaf
10 black peppercorns
2 teaspoons sugar or you can use agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup peeled fresh garlic cloves

Put all of the ingredients except the garlic into a nonreactive saucepan.
Bring the contents to a boil, and gently boil them for 5 minutes. Add the garlic.
Return the contents to a boil, then cover the pan, and remove it from the heat. Let it stand at room temperature for 24 hours. I know I know... you don't want to wait. The thought of leaving it out on your stove overnight is bugging you. Do it. It makes all the difference.
Bring the contents of the saucepan to a boil again, then transfer them to a half-pint jar. Let the jar cool, and cover it tightly with a nonreactive cap.
Store the jar in the refrigerator.

The garlic will be ready to eat in about 5 days, and will keep well for about 1 year.
I use this in pasta salad, bruschetta, salads, sandwiches etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.