Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chicken Carbonara Gluten Free

Today was busy at work. Mostly because even though it is a Tuesday, it is a Tuesday after a holiday weekend. I am the dog clothes diva haha! I wish I could just wake up each morning, head to the farmers market and spend the day cooking in my kitchen without interruption. Oh well, that is not the way life works is it? I am blessed to live in a beautiful place, with a beautiful family and have a great job that is flexible. So I am not going to complain, but a girl could wish right?

My husband just recently told me that his least favorite food is chicken and pasta dishes. Sorry hunny, this one is NOT for you. For Randy I made up some blackened Ahi. He brought me home pretty flowers today, so the least I could do is make him a special side dish.
The rest of us get Chicken Carbonara. First of all, Hold on to your seats... this pasta is amazing!
I wanted to make my gluten free pasta from scratch. I have done this successfully with my lasagne noodles. This is the first time I am making a gluten free batch of fettucine type noodles. I am not ready for spaghetti noodles yet. Doing the same process I used to make the lasagne noodles. I sucessfully made these using my handy kitchenaid attachment.
You can see the pasta making process here I doubled it this time, because we all devoured it quickly last time. Extra noodles will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Pasta ingredients:
2 cups better batter gluten free all purpose flour
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup white wine

Carbonara Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta or bacon, chopped (you can omit and use bacos if you are pescatarian)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
8 large egg yolks
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
Salt
4 cups coarsely shredded chicken (from 1 roasted chicken, or just roast chicken breasts)
Freshly ground black pepper

As I have shown before, When you mix the pasta, use the pasta attachment on your kitchenaid. Add all your flour, make a dip in the center and add your wine and egg yolk.
Turn the kitchenaid on high until all the flour is mixed well and a large ball is formed.

Seperate your dough into small enough batches to work with.
For Fettuccine style noodles you first need to flatten them.

Then you process them again through the fettuccine attachment.


Set the noodles aside on a floured surface until ready to cook.

Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and garlic and saute until it is brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk together the cream, cheese, yolks, basil, and parsley to blend.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until it is just tender but still firm to the bite,  about 2 minutes (unless you are using boxed pasta, then cook al dente according to box instructions). Drain.


Add the chicken to the pan with the pancetta and stir to combine.
Next, add the pasta and the cream mixture and toss over medium-low heat until the chicken is heated through and the sauce coats the spaghetti thickly, about 4 minutes (do not boil or you might end up scrambling the eggs).
Season the pasta, to taste, with pepper and salt if needed (the pancetta will likely add all the salt you need). Transfer the pasta to a serving dish. Sprinkle the parmesan and basil, and serve

Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carlsbad-CA/Mom-Whats-For-Dinner/134176089986933

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you for this easy to make recipe. I haven't attempted it yet as only just found it, but I have a friend coming to dinner on wednesday and I said I would make a carbonarra. I was just sitting here and remembered that she has been poorly and they suspect Celiac disease. I was so pleased to find your recipe, I have now liked your facebook page and hope to follow more of your recipes in future. This is a great site. I will be sure to pass the details around :o) x Johanna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to help! Let me know what she thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I made this before going gluten free, and this recipe looks so much better than the one I used. I'm not quite ready to make my own pasta because I don't have the tools, but it's on my list of things to learn to do. Now I know where to come when I'm ready.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.