Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gluten-Free Cinnamon Monkey Cups

Spring Break is over. =(
We had a lot of fun. My Sister and her family came for a visit from Seattle. We went to the beach, Sailed to Catalina, Swam, laid out by the pool... and then it all came to an end when I got really sick. Just a bad bad cold. I spent 3 full days in bed. I am on the mend. Thank the Lord! I thought I was going to have to go in to the doctor, and I hate going in to the doctor!

While my Sister was here I did a lot of cooking. Just didn't blog. No time to blog when Family is here. So it is time for a new post!
My poor daughter is coming down with my cold now. I know she will be starving. I was so hungry the entire time. What is it about a cold that makes you so hungry? I don't get it. I probably gained 5 lbs just from laying around in bed and eating crap. So I am going to make her some made from scratch "comfort" that is gluten free so that she won't fall into the same rut.

It is going to be a rough couple days. She accidentally had some Gluten on Saturday. What does that mean for us? It affects her both physically and mentally. She will break out, she will have mood swings, she will get tummy pains and headaches. It always amazes me now that I know ... how she coped all those years while I served her gluten filled food over and over. Poor baby. I am hoping these will cheer her up.
Gluten-Free Cinnamon Monkey Buns

For the dough:
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1/2 cup warm water
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup sour cream
3 tbsp sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups better batter gluten free all-purpose flour (if you use your own gluten free flour, add 1 tsp xanthan gum, if not gluten free, sub your own flour here)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

Cinnamon-sugar coating:
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Vanilla glaze:
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a large mixing bowl, sprinkled the yeast over the water and let it stand until bubbly, 5 minutes. Stir in the butter, sour cream, sugar, egg, and vanilla.

2. Beat in 2 cups of the flour, the salt, and the baking soda until combined.

3. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour and continue mixing until a smooth, soft dough forms.

4. This is where Gluten-Free and regular are different. If you are making regular gluten rolls you would have to knead and then let it rise in a warm place. But you have to shape the dough first with gluten free, because it really only rises once. 
5. Spray organic cooking spray in a 12-cup muffin pan.

6. In a small bowl, blend the sugar and cinnamon for the coating. Place the melted butter in a small dish and set aside.

7. Roll into1/2 inch "dots"

8. To make a bun, dip six of the "dots" in melted butter, then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Arrange balls in the bottom of a muffin cup. Repeat with the remaining dough balls. Loosely cover the buns with plastic wrap and let them rise in a warm place until they’re puffy and double in size, about 1 hour 




Preheat oven to 350F.

9. Bake them on the center rack until golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes. Now tilt the pan and gently tap it on the counter to release the buns. If needed, you can use a knife to release them from the pan. Place the muffins on the wire rack.

10. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the glaze and stir until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, you can thin it out by adding 1 tsp water at a time. Brush each bun with the glaze. Serve immediately or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Making these right now! Seems like an easy enough recipe, I don't think I can screw this up...but then again :0

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.