Thursday, March 10, 2011

Jambalaya

When I think of Mardi Gras I instantly think of New Orleans. We took a trip there several years ago and I remember Jambalaya being served in every restaurant on every corner. It is one of my husbands favorite dishes. So because we were celebrating Mardi Gras, I went for Jambalaya.

I had the blessing of going to the cutest little local farmers stand. I got bags and bags of fresh produce at amazing deals. I got 25 roma tomatoes for $5 among a ton of other things. For me, cooking is all about local fresh produce. It is going to go perfect in my Jambalaya. When you make this recipe. A good tip is to chop up all the fresh produce prior to starting all the cooking.


 Here is how I made mine.

2 cups enriched white rice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, once around the pan
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound boneless, skinless white or dark meat chicken
3/4 pound andouille, casing removed and sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 jalepeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
2 pinches cayenne pepper
2 to 3 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour
3 diced roma tomatoes in juice
14-ounces chicken stock or broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 rounded teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pound medium shrimp, raw, deveined and peeled
Coarse salt and black pepper

Directions
Cook rice to package directions.

Place a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and butter to the pan. Slice chicken and place in hot oil and butter. Brown chicken 3 minutes, add sausage, and cook 2 minutes more.

Add onion, celery, pepper, bay, and cayenne.


Saute vegetables 5 minutes, sprinkle flour over the pan and cook 1 or 2 minutes more. Stir in tomatoes and broth and season with cumin, chili, poultry seasoning, and Worcestershire. Bring liquids to a boil and add shrimp.

Simmer shrimp 5 minutes until pink and firm. Remove the pot from the heat and place on a trivet. Ladle jambalaya into shallow bowls. Using an ice cream scoop, place a scoop of rice on to the center of the bowlfuls of jambalaya. Sprinkle dishes with salt, pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.