Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cupcakes - Gluten-Free

Today is my friends son's 19th birthday. I have been feeling a little under the weather with this sore throat that has been going around. Leave it to me to catch everything. Have you ever had one of those days where all you want to do is cook, but your body says all you have to do is stay in bed? But I will not let this day go by without cooking something sweet for Justin. I am happy that I have the gluten free chocolate cake baking mix. It is going to make my life easier today.

When I was in elementary school I remember my sister wanting chocolate chip cake. She bought a cake mix, but messed it up somehow... for the better. We used to call it accident cake. She was supposed to put the chocolate chips on top of the cake, but instead stirred them into the batter at the last minute. The cake ended up being so much better! I am using that theory today while cooking these cupcakes for Justin. This is a simple recipe you can use with any cake mix when you are crunched for time and don't have time to make the cake from scratch. I am scrubbing in, so that no germs are given to anyone, even though I think the contagious part is over with.

Ingredients:
1 box better batter chocolate cake mix
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 tub chocolate frosting or your own chocolate buttercream.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line the muffin tins with cupcake liners.
Blend cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large bowl at low speed until moistened and then raise to high speed for 2 minutes.

Fold in 1.5 cups semisweet chocolate chips. (save the other 1/2 cup for topping)

Pour batter into pans and bake immediately.

Bake for 15-20 minutes

Cool completely before frosting. Usually I mix up my own butter cream but since I am on the mend I am going back to using a pre-made frosting tub.
Top each cupcake with frosting and remaining chocolate chips.

The texture of this cupcake is the same if not better than the best betty crocker cake mix. It is definately going to be a staple in my kitchen from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.