Thursday, February 24, 2011

Veggie Spring Rolls

One of my favorite appetizers when I go to Thai food is Veggie Spring Rolls. They are light and healthy and yummy! They also are naturally gluten free, so that is a plus around here. Today I am teaching my daughter how to make them. She is slowly learning how to make more and more gluten free food. This recipe is easy. You can change the ingredients to whatever you like. I love it because it is salad wrapped up in a rice noodle.
I used:

7 ounces (uncooked) rice noodles
7 ounces shredded cabbage
3 medium-small carrots, cut into batons
1/2 medium cumber, peeled, seeds removed and cut into batons
1 medium sweet pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut into batons
1/2 teaspoon sugar
40 cilantro leaves
20 spring roll skins

Prepare noodles according to package directions, rinse with cold water and drain.
Slice your veggies into thin batons. I taught my daughter Taylor how to do Batons today. Here is a pic of her cutting:

Sprinkle carrots with sugar and let sit. (you can always use a little agave instead here).

To assemble the rolls, fill a pie pan about halfway with warm water. One at a time, soak a skin in the water until it is pliable. Lay it out on a plate and, in the 1/3 closer to you, add filling. Roll up 2/3 of the way and fold in ends, finish rolling. Be sure the rolls don't touch as you assemble them, they'll stick together.

I like to dip them in thai peanut sauce. I served mine as a "salad" with my gluten-free dumplings. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.