Thursday, February 24, 2011

I am back ... TWINKIES!

Warning.... this is not a gluten free recipe.

OK, I know I have been gone for a while know. Car Accident, Injury, Physical Therapy, Surgery.... Recovery, a trip to Oregon... That has been my life since October 25th. I got my stitches out, I am on the mend, just started doing some slow exercises. Time to finally get my hands back in the kitchen (take out for 3 weeks is not my idea of fun). I was dying to do some cooking/baking... I actually have been doing some, I just haven't blogged. Baby steps. First I am going to make twinkies. Well I am making twinkie cupcakes. Because I don't have a twinkie pan. My friend in Oregon shattered my taste buds when she sent me an article about how there is no real ingredients in a twinkie. They really are gross. But they are good. So here is a take on an organic yummy twinkie that is still dessert .... but at least it is made with all real ingredients. Sorry folks, this version has gluten.

Twinkie Cupcakes
2 cups cake flour
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup cold water
7 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 egg whites

Twinkie Filling
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons salted butter, cold
4 tablespoons shortening, cold
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Directions for Twinkie Cupcakes:

Preparing the cupcakes. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray cupcake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
Place egg whites in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer until very stiff.

Place all cupcake ingredients except for the egg whites in a large mixing bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer).

Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Working in thirds, gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter. Be careful to not deflate the batter as you fold.

Fill each section of the prepared pans 3/4 full.
 The cakes will puff up quite a bit during baking but will shrink while cooling. Bake cupcakes in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove pans from the oven and let baked cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Using a small spatula or knife, gently remove each cupcake and allow them to completely cool on a wire rack.


Preparing the Twinkie Cupcake Filling. In a small saucepan, cook flour and milk over medium heat until they form a paste. Stir constantly and don’t let the mixture turn brown. Remove from heat and allow flour mixture to cool for 1 minute. Add vanilla extract and stir until smooth. Gently press a piece of plastic wrap over the surface of the frosting paste to prevent it from forming a skin.

In a large mixing bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer), beat butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy. Scrape sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and add the cooled flour mixture. Continue to mix on medium-high for 5 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.

Filling the Twinkie Cupcakes. Place the prepared frosting into a small zip-top storage bag or pastry bag fitted with a round pastry tip. Gently insert the tip into the underside of each cupcake, about halfway through the cake. Gently squeeze a small amount of filling into the cupcake. You should feel the cake expand under your fingers. Don’t overfill the cake or the frosting will burst through the top. Store cupcakes tightly covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.