Friday, January 7, 2011

Mexican Rice naturally gluten-free

I needed rice to go along with my enchiladas. I wanted Mexican Rice. The kind I get with my Mexican food at Cucina Del Charro here in SoCal. I love to add rice and beans to a chip before a meal. I know, not the healthiest menu, but I did not say I was going for healthy. I am going for comfort food right now.  This recipe turned out fantastic. In the past when I have tried to make spanish rice, I added tomato sauce or paste and it never turned out right. I have to say this hit the spot.

1/3 cup olive oil
3 cups chopped yellow onions
1/3 cup chopped seeded jalapenos
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 pinch of saffron ( you can omit if you dont have it. But I like the flavor it adds)
2 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
2 1/2 cups canned chicken broth or 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tsp salt, or to taste, depending on the saltiness of the broth
2 tsp Southwest essence seasoning (see below for recipe)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Cheddar cheese for topping
Southwest Essence Seasoning: makes ½ cup
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp dried oregano
Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Store in an airtight container.

Preheat the oven to 350. Heat the olive oil in a large oven safe saucepan with lid over medium heat. Add the onions and jalapenos, stirring until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until opaque, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the broth, salt, and Southwest essence seasoning. Stir well and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer to the oven.

Bake until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the cilantro, if desired. Add the cheese and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.