Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gluten-Free Apple Crisp

I love the holidays. Seems like everyone cooks/bakes with fruit and vegetables more than usual. I like to have several choices of desserts for Thanksgiving. Not everyone likes pumpkin pie. Not everyone likes apple pie, not everyone likes chocolate. I decided to do an apple crisp as one of the available options this year. You can make it all the day before and reheat it for dinner. Here is how I adapted it to be gluten free.

Filling:
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped small
3 tablespoons Gluten-Free all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
3/4 cup Gluten-Free all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 egg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp vanilla
4 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For the Filling:
I cut my apples into spirals with my handy dandy pampered chef apple peeler/corer/slicer.

Then I cut them into 4ths. Mix all the filling ingredients together. Place in a baking dish.

For topping:
Mix the everything but the butter together and drop on top of the filling. Drop drops of butter over the top of filling.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving. You can top with ice cream if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.