Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Thai White Fish with Sticky Rice and Dipping Sauce

Tonight I am making some thai food. A friend of mine turned me on to http://www.importfood.com/ where you can import thai food products, like sweet rice and other things. I got a kit from there to make sticky rice. When we were in Chicago Terrianne made the best sticky rice and dipping sauce. She said she got the recipe from her sister Stacy. Any way. it is SO good. She was kind enough to share the recipe with me. The rice is easy enough, but the only trick is you need to soak it for 8 hours. So you really have to plan when you are going to have it. My friend Devon's Dad runs a fishing boat and they just caught some fresh whitefish. So I decided it is the perfect time to make the rice. I am gonna whip out some thai style marinade for the fish. Here is what I put on the fish:

1/4 cup fish sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 TB Agave or Sugar
2 tablespoons of crushed garlic
2 tablespoons of freshly ground ginger root
1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 sprigs parsley
2 Fresh limes, halved and juiced

Wash the fish and dry it. Then pour the juice from the limes over the fish.
In a seperate large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients. Add fish, mix well and marinade.

Cook fish over a grill or broil until done... doesn't take long

Serve with sticky rice and dipping sauce.

Sticky rice,  It is meant to be formed into small balls that you make with your fingers. Then dip it in spicy sauce and let it soak up like a sponge. Here is how Importfood.com says to make the sticky rice
Rinse Sweet rice or "glutinous rice" 2-3 times, until water runs clear. Place rinsed rice in a bowl and fill with cool water so the water is approximately 2-3 inches above the rice .Let the rice stand in water for 6-8 hours. Drain the rice, place it in a cheesecloth, wrap it up and put the cheesecloth inside bamboo steamer. Put 6-8 cups of water in sticky rice steamer. Then place bamboo steamer inside sticky rice steamer. Be sure the bottom of the bamboo steamer does not touch the boiling water. Place a standard 8 inch lid loosely over the top of the bamboo steamer. Now turn on the heat (Med/High) and steam the rice for 45 minutes (or until tender).
Terrianne told me these tips:
- Give the rice a rinse after soaking

-Spray your basket with cooking spray prior to cooking rice, makes clean-up SO much easier.
-I use a lid with a whole in it that is made for steaming to cover the rice. After your rice has cooked for approx. 25-30 min. give the rice a flip in the basket & allow to cook for an additional 5 min. or so.

once done, to eat it, you form little balls and dip it into the dipping sauce. My daughter hates anything spicy so I made her just a basic teriyaki, for the rest of us here is the recipe from Stacy's Kitchen, that Terrianne so nicely shared with me:

Dipping sauce for sticky rice:
2 limes
3 cloves garlic
1-2 peppers (thai or serrano)
cilantro
green onion
water
fish sauce
sugar
salt

Grind Garlic and peppers.
Squeeze limes and drop it in.
add 1/4 cup water and 12 shakes of fish sauce (maybe more)
add a pinch of sugar ( I used agave) and grind
add 12 leaves of cilantro and 1 green onion... green part only.
add a dash of salt. Grind
taste and add anything more if needed.


Our meal was very very very yummy. Everyone ate, including my son, who is Mr. Picky.

Randy and my plate looked like this:


The kids plates looked like this... cuz they had teriyaki sauce:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.