Sunday, October 31, 2010

Gluten-Free Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies

I can't even begin to tell you the difference this going off Gluten has made for my daughter. Everything from her mood to her complexion is clear. She is her bouncing bubbly self again. I still can't believe the difference it has made. I am so so so thankful. I love how she comes in every day "what are you cooking?" She knows I will make sure it is Gluten-Free for her. As a Mom it gives me joy to provide this for her, it is nice to know I can do at least one thing right.

Well we are gearing up for the holidays around here. I adapted this recipe from Martha Stewart again. I actually found it on "La Mia Vita Dolce" blog, but the original is from Martha. I of course changed it up to be Gluten-Free. Try these Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies. This isn’t your typical gingerbread cookie. It is softer in texture and chewy. Once again, please refer to my Gluten free flour recipe. You don't want to buy a pre-packaged gluten free flour. At least I haven't tried one I have liked yet.

•1½ cups plus1 tablespoon Gluten-Free-all-purpose flour
•1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
•1¼ teaspoons ground ginger
•1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•¼ teaspoon ground cloves
•¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
•1 teaspoon baking soda

•1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
•1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
•1 tablespoon freshly grated peeled ginger
•½ cup packed dark brown sugar
•½ cup molasses
•7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, I just used choc chips
•¼ cup granulated sugar

1.Line 2 baking sheets or baking stones ( love my baking stones ) with parchment paper.
2.In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, xanthan gum, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves,baking soda, nutmeg and cocoa. I sift then whisk it all together.

3.In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and the grated fresh ginger on medium speed until lightened, about 4 minutes.
4.Add the brown sugar; beat until combined.
5.Add the molasses; beat until combined.

6.Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Then the remaining half of the flour mixture.
7.Mix in the chocolate; turn dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Pat out to a 1-inch thickness; seal with wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
8.Preheat oven to 325° F. Roll dough into 1½-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.  Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until surfaces just begin to crack, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Cookies are best the day they are made, You won't have a problem with that, everyone gobbles them up quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.