Sunday, October 3, 2010

Escabeche a.k.a seafood salsa

So I am continuing on my seafood rampage. I was so excited to get my fish without a doubt book by Rick Moonen. I have spent my free moments, that have been more and more rare lately, reading this book. It is perfect for me and my daughter that have been off meat for 5 months now.  I bought the book for the recipe for Escabeche. We had this meal at RM Seafood in Las Vegas. So refreshing and healthy. I however changed the recipe, because the cookbook called for fish, instead of shrimp. Really you can put any shellfish in this recipe. I do not cook the shrimp. Instead I let the lemon and vinegar cook it ceviche style. Here is my version of Escabeche. I doubled the recipe last night and it is already gone. The key to this recipe is everything FRESH. Do not substitute. It makes a huge difference.It is the perfect thing to make after visiting a farmers market. The farmers markets here are very very affordable and it is the perfect way to support your local farmers. We went to the Saturday afternoon market in downtown Carlsbad. I got so many veggies for under $5.


Escabeche:
1 lemon
2 pounds of shelled and deveined shrimp.. tails removed
3/4 cup olive oil
2 scallions cut into thin thin slices diagonal
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves minced
2 sprigs thyme
1 Yellow or red bell pepper cut into very small thin slices
1 serrano chile cut into very small thin slices
Grated zest of one lemon
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
Half of one Celery root, peeled cut into thin sticks and tossed with the juice of 1/2 lemon

In a large bowl put the cleaned deveined shrimp. put the juice of 1 lemon into bowl and stir. Scatter scallions and parsley over the fish. add  olive oil, onion, garlic, thyme, bell pepper, chile, lemon zest, and cumin. Poor in Vinegar and Water. Add the celery root that has already been tossed in lemon juice.

Refridgerate for at least 2 hours. Serve cold.
This Salad is good for 2 days. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.