Monday, October 18, 2010

Butter Basted Scallops

I mastered cooking scallops thanks to Rick Moonen. Turns out I was cooking them wrong all these years. Did you know you were only supposed to cook them on one side? I did not know that! All this time I could not get them to caramelize right, because I was turning them over. Any way. These really are the best scallops I have ever had. My daughter and husband fought over them and both said they were the best scallops they ever had.

1 1/2lbs sea scallops
coarse salt
ground pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 sprig thyme

Blot scallops dry with paper towels and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a large heavy skillet over high heat. When the pan's hot ad 1 tablespoon butter and swirl it around. Set the scallops in the skillet and add the remaining butter in pieces and the thyme.  Cook the scallops basting them with the butter almost constantly. They should have a good brown crust on the bottom and be transclucent in the center.
I served them over green beans and soyrizo with truffle vinaigrette, but they were good all by themselves too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.