Saturday, October 23, 2010

Another recipe I fell in love with

Thank's to Rick Moonen...again. However this time the kids loved it too! Could have something to do with the ultra fresh Halibut filets we got from Pelly's Fish Market, but I am thinking it was Rick's recipe that made our meal spectacular. He really knows how to pair his foods. This one is going on the A list of recipe's for us. It is so healthy and light. It is like having fish and tartar sauce without all the mayo and badness. If you make it, I encourage you to eat all of it together, Don't skip the egg or the Gribiche. I almost didn't put the egg on mine, because it just did not sound good to me. I am so glad I did. I wish I had made more. My daughter usually doesn't care for capers, she was kinda throwing a fit watching me make this, but I talked her into trying it. She ate the whole thing.  It looks like a challenging recipe, but it really isn't. You just need to read the entire recipe first before starting. Because it is all about doing the right steps at the right time.
Halibut with Gribiche and Poached eggs:
For the Gribiche:
1/3 cup diced tomato
3 TB Minced Shallots
3 TB minced cornichons (you can use baby dill, but cornichons are better)
2 TB Capers
1/4 cup virgin olive oil
2 TB Sherry
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
1 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
1 tsp fresh parsley
1 scallion (white part only minced).

Stir the tomato, shallots, cornichons, capers, olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Leave it at room temperature for 2 hours OR refridgerate overnight and bring to room temperature before serving.

For the fish:
4 (6 ounce) pieces of halibut fillets
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
Olive oil
Zest of one lemon

45 minutes before cooking season the halibut on both sides with salt and pepper. Refridgerate.

Finish with 4 large poached eggs and salt


Poaching eggs: Heat about 3 inches of water in a deep 10 inch skillet. Add a tablespoon or two of white vinegar and bring the water to a simmer. Crack the eggs into custard cups. When the water is just simmering, stir it several times so it is swirling, then slip each egg from its cup into the water; the eggs should be side by side and not touching. Lower the heat so that the water is just barely moving. If it boils the egg will break apart. It takes about 4 minutes to poach an egg. Poaching an egg makes it taste like a creamy cheesy sauce.

Heat a heavy bottomed skillet or cast iron skillet over high heat. Add olive oil and Halibut. Cook until just before completely white. It will finish cooking the last minute off heat.

To plate: Layer Gribiche, Halibut, Poached egg, salt the top. Break the yolk before eating. Put a little of each item on your fork for each bite. Heavenly. I realize this may be ultra gourmet for some, but I am telling you. It is very very very very good.

Before egg is broken:

After you break the egg:

High in protein, low in fat. Very yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.