Thursday, September 23, 2010

Veggie Burgers and Real Burgers

Cooking for my 2 Carnivore men is difficult right now, only because I like cooking what I eat, and I don't eat meat. Lately I find I am making 2 meals. Tonight I am doing burgers. For the men, Ground sirloin, Salt, Pepper. For us, it gets a little more time consuming... Veggie Burgers. For the Veggie Burgers I used:


2 1/2 cups chickpeas OR canned garbanzos, drained and rinsed
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 onion, chopped
1 yellow pepper chopped
Grated zest of one large lemon
1 cup toasted bread crumbs
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Toppings: Tomato, Lettuce, Avocado, cucumber

Combine the garbanzos, eggs, and salt in a food processor. Puree until the mixture is the consistency of a very thick, slightly chunky hummus. Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in the cilantro, onion, yellow pepper and zest.

Add the breadcrumbs, stir, and let sit for a couple of minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture. At this point, you should have a moist mixture that you can easily form into 1 1/2-inch-thick patties.

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium low, add patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes. Flip the patties and cook the second side for 7 minutes, or until golden.

Serve immediately. I put mine on a bun with tomato, lettuce, mayo, mustard and ketchup. Taylor likes hers with cucumber, avacado, tomato and lettuce and she puts Cheese fantastico light dressing.


The boys: Meat, Bun, Lettuce, Tomato and barbeque sauce. no brainer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.