Thursday, July 1, 2010

apple cups

I love the beauty of apples. I also love to serve products in their natural form. What I am attempting today is a deconstructed caramel apple pie. I am not chopping up the apple. I love my apple pie and apple crisp to be hot, but still crisp. I am taking the core out of the apples, filling the middle with caramel and baking it. I am also garnishing it a crumble topping.

I peeled the apples and cored them, Making them naturally look like a bowl, then soaked them in some lemon water (1 lemon 2 cups water) to keep them from browning.


For the Caramel Sauce:

1 cup of sugar
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Heat sugar on moderately high heat in a heavy-bottomed 2-quart saucepan. As the sugar begins to melt, stir vigorously with a whisk. As soon as the sugar comes to a boil, stop stirring. As soon as all of the sugar crystals have melted (the liquid sugar should be dark amber in color), immediately add the butter to the pan. Whisk until the butter has melted.Once the butter has melted, take the pan off the heat. Count to three, then slowly add the cream to the pan and continue to to incorporate. Whisk until caramel sauce is smooth. Let cool in the pan for a couple minutes.

Crumble Mixture:
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup rolled oats
4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)
combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in one bowl. In another bowl combine flour, sugar and oats. Cut butter into 8 small pieces, and cut butter into flour with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture is crumbly.

Put apple bowls into large baking dish. Fill each apple 1/2 with Caramel sauce and top other half with crumble mixture.

Bake at 375° for 30 to 45 minutes depending on how cooked you like your apples. This recipe is a great dessert or a great addition to a breakfast or brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.