Thursday, June 24, 2010

My attempt at a Vegan cupcake. Shhhhhh don’t tell the family. ;)

Ok after watching Cupcake Wars this week. I am really intrigued by Chef Chloe http://www.chefchloe.com/  who won cupcake wars, not only that, but all her cupcakes were vegan. Now unless these blow me out of the water I am not about to give up my butter permanently. But I really want to try making a something that is all Vegan and see how much my family notices. I am an on again off again vegetarian Because I really really really do not care for meat. Time constraints sometimes makes me cave because there is nothing else around, that and I do love taquitos, but honestly I am just as happy to just eat the fried shell with no meat in there.. Due to having a lot of visitors, I once again need to lose some weight. I am back on my no meat kick. Even though my recipes have meat, it is to feed the carnivores I live with. I swear I am surrounded by everyone that LOVES all things MEAT. For instance. Tonight I am making my Chicken Caprese. I just don’t put chicken on mine, I make extra tomato /garlic/basil sauce. I have been doing that for years. When we make burgers, Taylor and I do a veggie burger. Taylor I think could easily give up meat. If it were just her and I in the house we would be a lot thinner. We both love pasta and bread. SO if you are one of those non meat eaters, please just omit the meat from the pasta recipes. I promise all the flavor is still there.

Oh and I am super excited because today I ordered my mushrooms. Check this place out: http://www.bttrventures.com/  they recycle peets coffee grounds and make grow at home mushroom kits. Lots more mushroom purses are gonna be happening now! I bought 2 because if you buy 2 it is free shipping. There will be more blogging about it as my mushrooms grow.

As I said tonight I am making Caprese, but I am also making the winning recipe vegan cupcake from cupcake wars.

This is 100% Chloe’s recipe from Chloe’s site http://www.chefchloe.com/

Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
(Makes 12 Cupcakes)
Ingredients:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
Frosting, recipe below
1 ½ cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries
Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish


Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. Sift or whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the coconut milk, oil, vinegar, Vanilla, and espresso powder until smooth.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix with a fork or small whisk.


4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cupcake liners until each cup is 2/3 full. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


5. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, slice off the top 1/3 of each cupcake and slather with frosting and sliced strawberries. Place the top of the cupcake back on top and add an additional bit of frosting and sliced strawberries. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.



Frosting
Ingredients:
4 cups confectioners' sugar, preferably organic
1/2 cup refined coconut oil at room temperature OR margarine (recommended: Earth Balance Organic Soy-Free Non-Hydrogenated buttery Spread) I used the Earth balance. But I used 3/4 cup. It didn't firm up until I added more.
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ cup water

Procedure:
1. Combine the confectioners' sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer.
2. Beat on medium-high speed until combined. With the mixer running, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until the desired buttercream consistency.

3 comments:

  1. We are so excited you found us. We look forward to reading about what you think of our mushrooms. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns and we hope you enjoy them!
    -Bttr Ventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you BTTR!!! I am SO SO SO excited!!! I will be blogging a lot about your mushrooms! LOVE to cook with them! What a great idea!

    Also to my other readers... the cupcakes were DIVINE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.