Friday, June 25, 2010

Blooming Cipolla and Pâtes au pesto d'avocat


I am happy it is Friday!  Our family was here for a week so I had to get caught up on things in the dog clothes world. I am all caught up on work and I am spending the day at the beach with a good friend, a book to read, and some sun rays to catch. Yesterday I bought these beautiful basil plants that my husband planted for me. They are gorgeous! I used them last night to make my Caprese and Tonight I am making a bloomin' onion and I am stealing another recipe from Chef Chloe tonight. We went to the farmers market and got a bag of 8 avacadoes for next to nothing. Then I saw her recipe for Pâtes au pesto d'avocat ... simply translated: Avocado Pesto Pasta. Basil and Avacados...Perfect! I am also making a tossed salad. Onion, Salad, Pasta, perfect for me, but not enough for my Carnivore house. So I am making some fried chicken on the side for them.

Here is my Vegan friendly Bloomin' Onion recipe:

2 Onions
Seasoning:
2 cups flour
2 t paprika
1 t cayenne
1 t pepper
1 t vegetable broth powder
1/2 t poultry seasoning
1 t salt

Beer Batter:
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 c cornstarch
2 t paprika
2 t salt
1 t pepper
1 t vegetable broth powder
1 12 oz can warm beer

• Peel the paper off the onion but keep the base in tact

• Slice large sweet onions almost all the way through, criss crossed.


• Soak in ice water over night.

• Drain well, at least 15 minutes before dipping
• Remove the center of the onion... I just cut out about 3/4 inch core but remember to keep the base in tact.
• Dip onion in Seasoning
• Dip in Plain unsweetened soy milk
• Dip onion in Seasoning again
• Dip in beer batter
• Deep fry in Hot oil 375 degrees until deep golden color.
Sprinkle with salt and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. For me its gotta be spicy. =)


Here is Chef Chloe's Vegan Pasta Recipe and pics of the process.
If you don't care about Vegan, then you can make your pasta like I do, and you don't have to have the dried boxed pasta =)
Avocado Pesto Pasta

Serves 6
What You Need:
1 pound dried linguini
20 Big Basil leaves
½ cup pine nuts
2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about ½ of a lemon)
3 cloves garlic
½ cup olive oil
Salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (optional)
non vegan: add 1 cup parmesan cheese.

What You Do:
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook to package directions. While pasta cooks, in a food processor, blend basil, pine nuts, avocados, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.


2. Drain pasta. In a large serving bowl, toss pesto with hot, freshly cooked pasta and garnish each serving with a basil leaf. For an extra touch of color and flavor, top pasta with sundried tomatoes.

1 comment:

  1. Um... on a side note, make sure your pine nuts are american pine nuts. I ended up finding out I am allergic to Chinese shelled pine nuts. I was sick for 3 days and it took all my smell and taste away. If this happens to you, you are most likely allergic to Chinese Pine nuts too. Taking Fish oil tablets helps speed up the healing of your palate. This problem has been occuring over the past year. Always ask for American Pine Nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.