Wednesday, May 5, 2010

HOLY Cannolis

I have never had a Cannolis before. It is usually something I see on the dessert tray at a fancy restaurant that I plan to order, but then am too full by the time the dessert tray comes around. So I decided to make them. I bought these cannoli forms a while back and this is my first chance to use them. Nifty little tools. I did learn you gotta take extra care and make sure the dough is on their firm, or it opens like a taco instead of a tube.

For the shells I adapted several recipes and came up with this:
Ingredients

1 1/3 cups flour
1 tablespoon shortening
1 pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
white wine (chardonnay)

Directions

Mix together flour, shortening, salt and sugar.
Add enough wine to make a stiff but workable dough.

Roll dough into a ball and let it stand for about 1 hour.
Roll dough out 1/8 inch thick.
Cut rolled dough into 5x5 inch squares.
Place a cannoli tube across dough square on an angle (from top left corner to bottom right corner).

wrap one corner around the tube, then the other (which should overlap the first).
Press together to seal seam.
Fry in deep fat, one at a time, until deep golden brown.
Carefully remove fried cannoli shell from tube.
Cool completely before filling.



For the filling:
2 cups Ricotta Inpastata cheese
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons rum
1/2 pound semisweet chocolate, melted

Directions

In a mixing bowl, whisk the cheese, sugar, vanilla and rum. Mix well. Fill a pastry bag with the cheese mixture. Fill each cannoli shell with about 1/4 cup of the filling. Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Dip each end of the cannoli in the melted chocolate. Drizzle chocolate over the remaining middle.

Here is my daughter enjoying the Cannoli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.