Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday, meal planning, moon sisters and rain

From the title alone, you should be albe to tell that I am in for a long glorious day of cooking. It is actually raining here in Southern California. Rain smells so different here. The tropical flowers put of a wonderful smell and walking on my back patio and smelling the lemon, lime and Orange trees sprinled from the rain, is so wonderful. Most of you know what moon sisters mean. If you don't, then tough. My daughter, and I are cooking together againg today, and my friend Devon is coming over... the 3 moon sisters right now. I have my meal planning done for the next 2 days. I am leaving town on Tuesday, so Monday I will most likely make a french roast or something that will tide over the hubby for a few days.

Today:
Saffron Panna Cotta
Valpolicella
AIGO BOUIDO
Poulet Roti a la Normande (yes I am making it again)
Tarte aux Pommes
Fettuccine all alfredo.
Romaine Salade

Don't forget about that bavarian cream pie in the fridge.
If you see more desserts than protien you are not mistaken. Us moon sisters need sugar and chocolate and fast!! Devon mentioned she loves all things creme brulee so I am going to teach her how to make a quick panna cotta for those days she wants something creamy. Beleieve it or not people making it yourself can sometimes be easier than buying a mix, and it tastes a million times better.

To make an easy but wonderful panna cotta I will quote my wonderful hero Mario Batali.

Saffron Panna Cotta  - Mario Batali Babbo Restorante




3 1/3 cups heavy cream

3⁄4 cup sugar

Zest of 1 lemon or orange

3⁄4 teaspoon saffron threads

1⁄2 tablespoon powdered gelatin

1 cup whole milk



1.In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, sugar, lemon or orange zest and saffron threads. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring gently, then remove from the heat. Let the mixture rest for ten minutes to develop the flavor and color.



2. Stir the powdered gelatin into the cream mixture until it dissolves. Strain the mixture through a fine-meshed sieve, then stir in the milk.



3. Pour the mixture into chilled dessert cups or wine glasses. If desired, the panna cotta may be unmolded by running the tip of a knife around the edge of the cup, dipping the cup quickly into hot water, and gently shaking the custard onto a plate. Serve with fresh fruit.


See.... it is not hard!!!

Ok, more to come after todays cooking frenzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! I love comments!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!

Personalized TARGETED Nutrition saved me!
It can save you too! Take the free health assessment (it can even hook up to your DNA test results) to see what your body REALLy needs.